Sunday, March 18, 2012

Violia.... am I spelling that right?

It's not a typo - I did mean to use a made-up word, "Violia" in my title for this blog. Since I play and teach both violin and viola, I had the idea to combine the two words into one.

I spent the weekend in Newport, OR, rehearsing for the Newport Symphony Concerts next weekend. It is a fun orchestra and going to the coast for this is a half work, half mini-vacation for me. I get to stay with my wonderful host family, meet musicians from around the state, and as of this weekend I've attended two talks at the Nye Beach Writers' Series.

Mark your calendars! If you're in Southern Oregon, here are a few of my upcoming performances:

Saturday, April 7, 7:30 PM, SOU Recital Hall
Faculty Recital: James Edwards, guitar

I will be joining guitarist James Edwards for a few works on his faculty recital, featuring the music of composers living in Southern Oregon.

Sunday, June 10, 7:15 PM, The Bricks, Oregon Shakespeare Festival
Greenshow: The Music of George Crumb

Could it be? Yes, we're performing George Crumb's "Black Angels" for electric string quartet outdoors at the festival on what we hope will be a nice, warm summer evening. Abby Aresty's "Piercing" for flute and electronics will serve as a prelude to our performance of Angels.

 More will be announced very soon, including a Spring Recital date for my students and summer concerts for my chamber series, the East-West Virtuosi.

No comments:

Post a Comment